We often talk about positive thinking, the laws of attraction, and expectancy theory. These things are all related and have a bearing on our activities as professional sales people. We know that successful sales people do not just do the right things; they also think in ways that lead them to results.
In this lesson, you will think about how these three concepts can help you enrich your sales career. We will also share some tips for looking as good as you feel and presenting a professional image.
The Power of Your Mind
The law of attraction is about focusing your thoughts so that you take actions that lead you to the things that you want. Expectancy theory states that we generally get what we expect; if we listen to the things that we say to ourselves, our thinking shapes our results. A winner’s self-talk might be: “I did well today. I’ll do even better tomorrow.” Someone who thinks negatively is more apt to think: “Without bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.”
Appearance is important for all sales people. If you look at the top 10% of salespeople in your organization or industry, you will see that part of their presentation is to pay attention to their appearance. If you do not look like someone who cares about being a representative of your company, or someone who wishes to be seen as credible and trustworthy, then you will probably not get the same results as your well-presented counterparts. Even if you do all your sales over the phone, maintaining a professional image is crucial for your self-talk.
Here are some tips for dressing for success:
- Dress the way you want to be perceived. Look like you care about what you are doing.
- Dress comfortably and be proud of who you are.
- Always appear as neat and clean as possible, with your hair clean and neatly trimmed, fingernails clean and neatly trimmed, and shoes that are clean and polished.
- Look trim. Choose clothes carefully that fit and flatter. You will not feel good and you won’t look good if your clothes are too tight, too loose, or too revealing.
- You can appear well presented without over-spending on your budget if you are smart about where you shop.
- If you travel for sales, also consider your vehicle. In the event that customers may accompany you back to your vehicle, make sure that you keep it tidy and presentable.